Monday, May 5, 2014

AUM MY GOODNESS!!

Masala Spiced Vegetables
with
Chick Peas and Toasted Cashews

The greatest part of traveling, are the kindred spirits I meet and the dishes that I eat. I apologize for not posting last week. I was on a wonderful trip in Las Vegas and had eaten at some of the best "Hole in the Wall" restaurants that you could ever imagine. After getting back, I was inspired to recreate one of my favorite dishes that I had eaten 3 times during my visit. Now of course, I have added my own "twist" and hope you enjoy the flavors of Indian cooking.


1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1 Cup Eggplant, large diced
1 Cup Cauliflower, large diced
1/2 Cup Tomatoes, large diced
1/4 Cup Onion, large diced
1/2 Cup Chick Peas, cooked
1 Cup Kale, torn in pieces (You can also use any other favorite cooking green)
1/2 Teaspoon Garlic, minced
1/2 Teaspoon Ginger, minced
1/8 Teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
1/4 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Black Mustard Seeds
1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt

Lightly Toasted and Ground:

1/4 Teaspoon Fennel Seed
1/8 Teaspoon Fenugreek
1/4 Teaspoon Cumin Seed

Garnish:

1 Tablespoon Cilantro, chopped
1 Teaspoon Cashews, toasted, chopped
1 Tablespoon Raisins

In a large saute pan, heat oil and cook eggplant for approximately 5 minutes or until soft. Next add the cauliflower and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add the onion, chick peas, garlic, ginger and spices to the pan and cook for 3 minutes. Fold in the tomatoes and kale the last minute of cooking and season with sea salt.

Garnish with cilantro, cashews and raisins. 

Get creative!! This dish goes so well with a dollop of yogurt and a side of your favorite rice. 








No comments:

Post a Comment